If you have yet to claim your business on Google, you need to do so today! Google is the #1 ranked search engine in the world. As of January 2022, Google processed over 8.5 billion searches per day and Google’s share of the Search Engine Market worldwide was 91.43%. Your business is missing out if you do not have a Google Business Profile.
Here are 4 key reasons you need to claim your business on Google:
1. If you have not claimed your Google Business Profile (GBP), Google will provide the best information it can from various sources on the internet. This may or may not be accurate. If you claim your business on Google, you can verify and provide all the accurate information about your business that will help your customers find you.
2. It will allow your business to show up in geographical searches on Google Maps, improving your Local SEO. How many times have you typed into Google Maps (restaurants/gas stations/urgent care/chiropractor/etc.) near me? If you have set the geographic service area for your business, you will show up when potential customers are searching for businesses like yours.
3. If you claim your business on Google and manage your Google Business Profile, it will help you establish a good online reputation. Today’s consumers rely heavily on reviews in making purchase decisions. (Just think about how many reviews you read in a week!) Reviews are key to Google’s algorithm. Google Business Profiles w/ more reviews (especially positive ones) are favored in a Google search and rank higher in results. A great benefit of your GBP is that you will be notified immediately when anyone writes a review about your business and you can respond, which you should do as soon as possible. Especially to any negative reviews.
4. Having a GBP will increase your website Search Engine Optimization (SEO). When you claim your business on Google (and your profile at other search engines like Bing, Yahoo, Yelp, etc.), you are adding quality web links that lead consumers back to your website. (called backlinks). Backlinks from websites that are highly respected will help improve your own website’s search engine results ranking.
Quick side note: Make sure your company name is consistent on ALL of the search engine / directory sites!!! Same spelling, same capitalization, etc.
Some additional helpful information regarding Search Engine Optimization (SEO)…
Google uses these Factors in determining ranking:
1. Distance between your business location (or geographic service area) and the person searching
2. Relevance of the search to the products or services that your business provides
3. Popularity, or how well-known your business is
How can you improve your Local ranking on Google?
- Complete all sections of your Google Business Profile (GBP) with complete and accurate information
- Keep your hours of operation up to date, list any holiday closings, etc.
- Manage & respond to your reviews as soon as you can
- Sprinkling keywords into your responses can be helpful
- Add posts on a regular cadence
- Add photos or videos
- Add events and offers
Follow Wasatch ActionCOACH, subscribe to our Newsletter or YouTube channel, or check out our videos for additional tips and strategies for your business!
Leave a Reply